WebID-TLS using X509 fingerprints

From: Jacopo Scazzosi <me@jacoscaz.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:58:43 +0100
To: public-webid@w3.org
Hello.

First mail to this list. My name's Jacopo Scazzosi, nice to meet you all.

I've been recently researching the world of WebID-TLS. The current specs
seem to dictate the use of RSA. As one of my requirements is the support
of different types of keys, I've written a proof-of-concept
authentication module for nodejs using X509 fingerprint comparison
instead exponent+modulus comparison. I'm currently using SHA-256
fingerprints but I plan on leaving the choice of the hash function up to
our subjects. Module is here: https://github.com/jacoscaz/node-webidentity

Has support for non-RSA keys been already considered in the past?

Cheers.