Re: Web ID use cases

On 11/23/16 6:40 AM, Gabriel Lucas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are designing the new website for a public cultural institution.
> For the logging system we are evaluating various options, one is Web-ID.
>
> The web would be based in Drupal 7, there is a module created 5 years
> ago, that has not been updated in the last 3 years.
> https://www.drupal.org/project/webid
>
> We are wondering how much Web-Id is being used around.
>
> Do you know of any good use case where it is being used?
> Could you give us some advice?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gabriel Lucas

Gabriel,

To effectively use the WebID+TLS authentication protocol you will
ultimately need to add "Delegation". Luckily, we also have a
WebID+TLS+Delegation protocol that can help.

To answer your question:

HTTP URIs that identity entities i.e., WebIDs are in broad use.
WebID+TLS which is an authentication protocol isn't in broad use due to
UI/UX issues that are quite problematic.

WebID+TLS+Delegation isn't broadly implemented (yet) due to general lack
of understanding. Anyway, we do have very large customers that have
eventually adopted WebID+TLS+Delegation after we demonstrated its
ability to surmount UI/UX and Cert. Management challenges that impede
WebID+TLS.

Links:

[1]
https://medium.com/virtuoso-blog/web-logic-sentences-and-the-magic-of-being-you-e2a719d01f73#.aboqar22m
-- WebID+TLS+Delegation post

[2]
https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog/verifiable-identity-controlled-by-you-at-web-scale-3d66399cb114#.dxxq1q1f4
-- Effect of WebID browser extension on WebID+TLS+Delegation

OpenLink Software   (Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com)

Weblogs (Blogs):
Legacy Blog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen/
Blogspot Blog: http://kidehen.blogspot.com