Re: Web ID use cases

On 2016-11-23 12:40, Gabriel Lucas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are designing the new website for a public cultural institution. For
> the logging system we are evaluating various options, one is Web-ID.
>
> The web would be based in Drupal 7, there is a module created 5 years
> ago, that has not been updated in the last 3 years.
> https://www.drupal.org/project/webid
>
> We are wondering how much Web-Id is being used around.
>
> Do you know of any good use case where it is being used?
> Could you give us some advice?
>
> Thank you very much,
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gabriel Lucas

Hi Gabriel,

https://dokie.li/ uses WebID in combination with TLS.

People and organisations having their own identity at a location within
their authority is integral towards a decentralised and federated Social
Web. That can certainly come across as a bunch of buzzwords and with a
lot of complications, but in essence WebID encourages a mechanism to
fetch a resolvable resource and then extraction of its attributes and
values in a uniform way. It happens to be a globally unique and
resolveable identifier. Systems that use something like that places
focus on wide reuse across applications and data integration. This is in
contrast to traditional system or service specific internal identifiers.
So, in the case of WebID, the system would use and expose something like
'http://example.org/alice#i' to the world (or even just to itself), as
opposed to 'alice' or 'abc123' as the canonical identifier.

I think it is important, and it is actually decoupled from
authentication mechanism it can work with. It also plays an important
role in access controls.

-Sarven
http://csarven.ca/#i