Re: How the father of the World Wide Web plans to reclaim it from Facebook and Google

On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 at 12:24 Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Melvin / Henry (or TimBL)

sorry - perhaps overly (and unintentionall) prescriptive (given the
recipient list)...

> Can someone ask (or respond) and tell me what the key principles are that
> TimBL wants to achieve in producing SoLiD (like?) alternatives.
>
> What are these key qualities...
>
> I imagine he would / could summarise it in a page or so, as he has done
> with other concepts in the past.
>
> I do not believe he has a rigid view that SoLiD is the only path for the
> web into the future.  A comment i am reminded of, is one of creating pieces
> and not forcing the everything to be used; but hoping counterparts can and
> will be.
>
> I see work that's been done over a VERY long period of time; and i think
> the semantic inferencer that has somehting like HTTP signatures protecting
> algorithms shared using something like linked-media-fragments to services
> were people are storing their private and sensitive media objects that they
> want to be processed by algorithms produced by incredible scientists around
> the world - well, that kinda stuff is amongst the 'to-do' list IMHO.
>
> TimH>
>
> On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 at 09:31 Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 16 August 2016 at 20:23, Kaliya IDwoman <kaliya-id@identitywoman.net>
>> wrote:

>>> 1) first off I'm super skeptical of any project that is
>>> university/research based it is notoriously difficult to get those to
>>> escape the lab as it where. Everyone has incentive to "publish" for their
>>> degrees/professorships - zero incentive to make a usable, market
>>> worthy/ready product (I don't just mean in a business way relative to
>>> market but adoptable in the marketplace of tools and software)
>>>
>>> 2) The Personal Data Ecosystem Consortium that I founded in 2010
>>> http://www.pde.cc has a whole range of companies that have been working
>>> on similar technology and ideas for well over 5 years. So it isn't new -
>>> the ideas around personal data stores/banks etc and putting people at the
>>> center of their own data lives go back at least to Johannes'  Ernst work
>>> (See the top of my twitter for a diagram he drew in 2005-6.  And the
>>> Augmented Social Network White Paper which itself and antecedents in other
>>> work. http://asn.planetwork.net
>>>
>>> 3) Please show me what Tim has lead that has gotten to market besides
>>> HTML back in the day?
>>>

>> Skepticism is healthy.  But can sometimes be overdone.
>>
>> Tim didnt just get html to market.  He also created the first browser
>> (editor).  He created HTTP.  He created.  He created the first web server.
>> And after that he created linked data.  And now Solid.  This is all really
>> one project known as the world wide web.
>>
>> Fun fact: when presenting these things to the hypertext conference when
>> it was all working, the paper was rejected from the main conference and
>> only allowed "poster track"
>>
>> See:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/2004/Talks/w3c10-HowItAllStarted/?n=16

also see: https://twitter.com/WebCivics/status/492707794760392704 for what
i believe is amongst the better presentations that has alot of detail,
others may miss...

The WebScience http://www.webscience.org/ (for example) aspect is very
important, yet not really offered as a course in a great many institutions;
let alone, the debate about how any such curricula could / should be
delivered..