Re: An very different take on the distributed web

On 2014-05-27 03:53, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 26 May 2014 21:33, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com <mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/__Public/public-webcrypto-__comments/2014May/0062.html <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto-comments/2014May/0062.html>
>
>     Quite extreme but maybe a bit fun :-)
>
>     I guess WebID and WebPayments have about the same chance succeeding
>     given the lack of a *useful* AND *accepted* client authentication system.
>

> Why?

For WebPayments it is very easy to explain.  None of the existing players
like VISA will bother about a system that doesn't offer better security
(wrt client-binding) than their existing (provably non-secure) systems.
Credit-card payments are essentially at the same level as 20 years ago.

For WebID the situation is more unclear since WebID nowadays apparently
is mainly characterized as a way of representing data.  In spite of that
the use of transport-level authentication (WebID-TLS) is *heavily promoted*
although transport-level authentication probably accounts for less than
0.001% of all browser-authentications on the web.

Although WebID and WebPayments share a common technology ("Linked Data"),
the WebPayments CG have *rejected* WebID-TLS due to its awkward UI.

I believe the problem boils down to a very basic fact; people are pretty bad
cooperating except on smallish issues where "all speak the same language".

Unfortunately this leaves the future of the web in the hands of mega-corporations
like Google who can launch "the whole thing" without getting stuck in boring and
non-constructive discussions like this...

Anders