Re: Should WebIDs denote people or accounts?

On 18 May 2014 22:41, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

>  On 05/18/2014 01:54 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> On 18 May 2014 19:16, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org> wrote:

>>> Why are you assuming that any of my profile documents have an owl:sameAs
>>> relation, connection the identities denoted by the HTTP URI based
>>> Identifiers? Likewise, if there's no relation facilitated by an IFP how do
>>> you arrive at such, via semantics expressed in RDF based relations?
>>>

>>  That assumption is not required.
>>
>> By the RDF Semantics, if two RDF IRIs denote the same thing, then all RDF
>> triples that are true using one are also true using the other.
>>
>> What you're talking about is whether a machine might be able to figure
>> out that truth.
>>
>> If I have two different WebIDs that denote me, and you grant access to
>> one of them, it's true a machine might not immediately figure out that that
>> other one also denotes me and should be granted equal access.  But if it
>> ever did, it would be correct in doing so.  And I'm betting, with machines
>> getting access to more and more data all the time, and doing more and more
>> reasoning with it, it would figure that out pretty soon.
>>
>> It sounds like you're proposing building an authorization infrastructure
>> that relies on machines not doing exactly what we're trying to get them to
>> do everywhere else.  Sounds a bit like trying to hold back a river with
>> your hands.
>

>  Consider 3 scenarios:
>
>  1. If Sandro arrives, please let him in
>
>  2. If Sandro arrives, please let him in, he will be carrying his driving
> license
>
>  3. If someone arrives with Sandro's driving license, please let them in
>

> Can we change that from "driving license" to "house key"?   The license,
> bearing my name and photo is less transferable.   Maybe it doesn't matter.

Sure.

>   If I've understood correctly
>
> (1) is how WebID commonly works today with authorization.
>
>    Yes.
>

>   (2) is a restriction that could be added (eg let sando login with
> twitter) but something we dont do right now
>
>    Right.
>

>   (3) is a what is being proposed, as being more common, online
>
>    Right.
>

>   I think we do all three of these already today
>
>    I'm not sure what you mean -- on number 2, you said we don't do that
> right now.   Maybe it's different "we"?

Apologies: we *can* do all 3 of these today.  We just dont have the
vocabulary in the access control rule to add this restriction.  Perhaps
it's more complex than a simple restrict concept (probably!) ... but it's
conceivable we could add this, I think.

>   Why would (3) be preferred over (1)?
>

> (3) is preferable to (1) because humans are complex creatures with complex
> lives and don't always want to be locked into tight boxes in their
> relationships with computers.
>
> I think Google probably came to this realization fairly slowly, and
> Facebook hasn't come to it yet.

Right, I've seen these flows on both facebook with a single identity, and
google plus with multiple.  Both have merits, imho.

> (1) is more intrusive/controlling in people's live than (3), and goes
> against current Best Practice in computer security.

OK, got it.  Thanks for explaining, will think it over.