Re: Question about "TLS CCA Session" versus "Web Session"

On 2014-05-12 10:57, henry.story@bblfish.net wrote:

> On 12 May 2014, at 09:32, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As far as I can tell a server cannot force logout of the client, since the browsers tend to resend the same certificate
>>> to the server. You can only do this with Firefox which has a Javascript logout call currently. In my view login/logout
>>> has to be handled by the client in the chrome.
>>
>> This is a unique problem for HTTPS Client Certificate Authentication; no other authentication
>> method needs modifications of the chrome in order to perform logout or requires the client
>> to support session timeout policies.
>
> That is wrong as a little reflection should show:
>
> - Basic Authentication uses the Chrome

True.  However, basic auth is even less popular than HTTPS Client Cert Auth.
Form-based login rules on the web.

> - All other current methods rely on cookie based authentication, and it is problematic to exactly the extent that
>    there until recently it was difficult for a user to control his cookie based personas. This is exactly what Aza Raskin
>    was trying to bring into the Chrome with his "Identity in the Browser" blog post
>    http://www.azarask.in/blog/post/identity-in-the-browser-firefox/

Fine with me.  If the mechanism is universal it would be a useful option.

>> I can though imagine a chrome-based identity context but it should be optional and universal.
>> It should probably also address logout to *all* enabled sites that you have encountered
>> during your session on the web.
>
> yes, there are many such features that become possible once one starts thinking about tying
> identity to the Chrome, and putting the user fully in control of it. Google Chrome's Profiles
> are a good step in the direction, but they don't yet help show which certificates are used,

OK

> which  is important just because with WebID one could log into all sites with the same certificate.

In theory a singe certificate using WebID could log in to all sites but due to differences in
policies etc. this won't happen.  I don't see that as a problem if you have a working certificate
selection filter.

Question: where does this leave us?

Anders