Re: I noticed that the BBC are using Client Side Certs recently

From: Mischa Tuffield <mischa@mmt.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 10:18:48 +0100
Cc: public-webid <public-webid@w3.org>
To: Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk>
Hi Mo,

I use Firefox, an https-everywhere (how did you guess!).

I get it on pretty much every bbc.co.uk URL I access, for example :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

I think the domain requesting the cert is ssl.live.bbc.co.uk.

Cheers!

On 7 May 2014, at 09:33, Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Oh, are you using https-everywhere or similar?
>
> M.
>
> On  2014-May-07, at 09:29, Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> We’re not meant to be, not publicly at least…
>>
>> There was a period where parts of the stack were ‘optionally’ requesting a client cert (we use X.509 client certificates extensively within the BBC for staff and contractors to access systems), and some browsers would always show a request dialog if so — but I thought that had been switched off
>>
>> Can you let me know which browser (I’m guessing Firefox) & URL you were accessing, and I’ll pass it onto the ops team?
>>
>> M.
>>
>> On  2014-May-06, at 00:49, Mischa Tuffield <mischa@mmt.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Apologies if this is old news, but over the last week or so I have noticed that the BBC are requesting a client side cert from me every time I visit their site, I wonder what they are doing, perhaps it is worth finding out somehow.
>>>
>>> <Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 00.46.31.png>
>>>
>>> All the best and keep up the good work folk!

>>> _______________________________
>>> Mischa Tuffield PhD
>>> http://mmt.me.uk/
>>> @mischat
>>>

>> --
>> Mo McRoberts - Chief Technical Architect - Archives & Digital Public Space,
>> Zone 2.12, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA.
>>
>> Inside the BBC? My movements this week: http://neva.li/where-is-mo
>>

> --
> Mo McRoberts - Chief Technical Architect - Archives & Digital Public Space,
> Zone 2.12, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA.
>
> Inside the BBC? My movements this week: http://neva.li/where-is-mo
>

> -----------------------------
> http://www.bbc.co.uk
> This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and
> may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> If you have received it in
> error, please delete it from your system.
> Do not use, copy or disclose the
> information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender
> immediately.
> Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails
> sent or received.
> Further communication will signify your consent to
> this.

Mischa Tuffield PhD
http://mmt.me.uk/
@mischat

>--Apple-Mail=_C71EBADA-1FC2-40E7-9F35-BB8B449A7FCB--

Screen_Shot_2014-05-07_at_10.16.32.png
(image/png attachment: Screen_Shot_2014-05-07_at_10.16.32.png)