Re: Microsoft's Information Cards. Was: UI for client cert selection (Was: Releasing RWW.IO)

On 5/5/14 3:28 PM, Andrei Sambra wrote:
> There is another aspect that most people tend not to see right away.
> X.509 certs and the whole PKI system has suffered several blows
> recently, with less and less people trusting the CA system. I'm pretty
> sure that banks are aware of this when they consider whether to deploy
> X.509 client certs for their customers.
>
> Compared to PKI, WebID-TLS (even with its UI issues) still remains a
> strong candidate, since it doesn't rely on CAs, but instead on the WOT
> and asymmetric crypto (which was proven to work well so far).
>
> -- Andrei

That's it in a nutshell.

The flaws in CA controlled PKI are bleeding, as demonstrated by Heartbleed.

Anders:

There are many aspects to what de-referencable URIs (e.g., HTTP URIs) as
denotation mechanisms offer. Even more so when combined with structured
data endowed with human and machine comprehensible entity relationship
semantics.

Ironically, as I've indicated to you repeatedly, I have used your
examples, including the technologies you've referenced thus far. My
confidence in the utility, an eventual mass adoption, of webby PKI
remains resolute :-)

Kingsley