Re: Microsoft's Information Cards. Was: UI for client cert selection (Was: Releasing RWW.IO)

On 5/5/14 12:09 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
> Around 2005 Microsoft announced its pretty cool Information Card concept with
> the hope that for example banks would adopt it.
>
> I told Microsoft folks early on that banks in the EU have already put their
> money on X.509 certificates but unfortunately they can't use the solution
> featured in Windows and IE.  If you fix that, they may indeed jump on the
> Information Card bandwagon.
>
> Microsoft did neither listen to me nor checked with the banks what the problem
> could possibly be.
>
> Six years later they were forced withdrawing the entire Information Card concept
> from the market due to lack of adoption. It goes without saying that they haven't
> considered making X.509 client authentication useful for bank-users even in the most
> recent incarnations of Windows; they have rather opted for U2F like the competition.
>
> What I wanted to say with this is that "denial" is a human and natural reaction,
> but if the condition stays forever, it becomes a problem.
>
> In the WebID-TLS case the "defection" to U2F by all platform vendors except Apple
> and Mozilla indicates that it's time to "Kill Your Darlings" and move on.
>
> Anders
Anders,

Once you delve a litter deeper into RDF based Linked Data prowess, you
will be more hopeful.

I don't share your pessimism, and I've used every piece of technology to
which you've made reference thus far.