Re: Releasing RWW.IO

On 5 May 2014, at 7:29 am, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On 5/3/14 7:42 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>> On 2014-05-03 13:19, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>>>

>>> On 3 May 2014 10:08, Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com <mailto:anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Now I have tried it out as well including the micro-blogging.
>>>

>>> Awesome.  I typed your name "A n d e r" into the channel finder and your webid came up after about 3 letters.  I'm now following you.
>>>
>>>     It was cool with one exception, TLS CCA (Client Certificate Authentication)
>>>
>>>     Logging in to http://cimba.co required me to select certificate twice and
>>>     from a pretty long list of non-WebID certificates.
>>>
>>>     Unless W3C gets their act together and creates a web-compliant replacement
>>>     for TLS CCA, WebID won't ever catch on.  I have no faith in W3C for taking
>>>     any action on this since not even the requirements have ever been discussed.
>>>     TLS is a sacred cow.
>>>

>>> I think there's a slight distinction between WebID and WebID+TLS.
>>>
>>> WebID itself is independent of the auth mechanism.
>> Yes, this enhancement was introduced as a "workaround".
>
> Not a workaround, a point of fundamental clarity.
>
> Conflating things never works. WebID as the moniker for WebID-TLS protocol was a piece of poor marketing and technology evangelism. This bug has been fixed, and we just need to make this crystal clear to everyone.

WebID-TLS was the single most important entry-point to my work with W3 Community groups - through a rather significant amount of time with Henry Story helping me get my head around the basics of the groups, no-less…

Not suggesting my ’linked-data’ story doesn’t go back further than that - started in 2000 - but i saw the merit in the practical solution WebID-TLS Provided then, and i still do now.  If there are alternatives, i think we should encourage them also.

> A WebID is simply an HTTP URI that denotes an Agent. That's it.

i think that’s certainly an interpretation - but not the only one that’s dictated by technology eco-systems, yet, perhaps…

Web of Trust is an important element to many meritorious concepts - i see the work carried out within WebID as an important constituent of this undertaking, still in its infancy.

IMHO