Re: Request for Review of WebID specs before publishing

On 9/12/2013 2:13 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2013, at 05:19, Erich Bremer <erich@ebremer.com> wrote:

>>> The spec should make it clear that this works with other TLS protocols. I think it does.
>>> See the section with the UML sequeence diagram.
>> Hi Henry,
>>
>> However, the way it is written, I think it is a bit confusing. First the WebID-TLS name does not indicate which protocol the document is supporting.  Second, in "1.2 Terminology of the WebID-TLS document", A WebID is defined as, "A WebID is a URI with an HTTP or HTTPS scheme".  Third, in section 3.1 of the WebID-TLS document, in the steps section, it says, "If the protocol is HTTP" which hints that it could be something other than http but contradicts "A WebID is a URI with an HTTP or HTTPS scheme".
>> The other document:
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
>> also defines "A WebID is a URI with an HTTP or HTTPS scheme" and section 3 of this document is entitled "The WebID HTTP URI".  I think it is clear that http is a focus, but I don't think it is very clear that other protocols potentially could be implemented.  - Erich
>
> You are confusing the WebID - The identifier - and its method of dereferencing (HTTP) with the protocol used by
> the Agent doing the authentication of the client. That is in diagram 3 of
>    https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html#authentication-sequence
> you are confusing the protocol used between Bob's Client and Alice's Server, and the Protocol used between
> Alice's Server and Bob's Server. The first protocol can be any protocol using TLS, (all we need is the certificate)
> the second must dereference a WebID  which is restricted to http(s) and so that protocol MUST be http based.
>
> Perhaps you can suggest some language to make that clearer?
>
> Henry
  Hi Henry,

     In part I am confused.  I was remembering (and perhaps incorrectly
so) some discussion months back on a WebID telcom, where there were some
disagreements of whether a WebID was a HTTP(S) URI in a particular
implementation, or a WebID was always a HTTP(S) URI.  This stemming from
a difference of interpretation of the vote that was taken on the
definition of a WebID.  If that discussion has been closed, and a WebID
will always be a HTTP(S) URI (and never something else like a WS(S)
URI), then I withdraw most of my confusion comments I made on this
particular email thread.  I would still suggest in:

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html
3.1 Auhentication Sequence
"Bob
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html#dfn-bob>
initiates a connection to Alice
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html#dfn-alice>'s
server via a TLS enabled protocol such as HTTPS in order..."
to something like:
"Bob
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html#dfn-bob>
initiates a connection to Alice
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/tls-respec.html#dfn-alice>'s
server via a TLS enabled protocol such as HTTPS (but could also be other
TLS enabled protocols like but not limited to IMAP, SMTP, POP) in order..."

In this way, making it a bit more obvious that other TLS-enabled
protocols could be used.

Further, in "The steps in detail are as follows:" section, I would modify:
"If the protocol is HTTP then the client..."
"If the TLS-enabled client protocol is HTTP then the client..." to
further emphasize that the TLS client protocols have a greater range
than HTTP.  - Erich