Re: What is a W3C editor? Re: WebID+TLS Spec was (Re: Signed WebID documents and trust wrt GPG Web of Trust)

On 29 May 2013, at 10:59, "Andreas Kuckartz" <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:

> Henry Story:
>>
>> On 29 May 2013, at 10:08, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I seem to recall that Manu made a big contribution to putting the spec into a professional format.
>>
>> That may be. But that makes him a contributor, not an author or an editor. And so I have kept him as a
>> contributor.
>
> Depending on the definitions of "professional format" and "editor"
> putting a spec in a professional format might belong to the core tasks
> of an editor.
>
> "While the Working Groups at large are responsible for building
> consensus on the technical decisions, the editors have the heavy
> responsibility of transforming these decisions into actual specifications."
> http://www.w3.org/2003/Editors/

yes, but that was three years ago, and since then we have had not input
from Manu at all. We have put the WebID definition spec in a W3C format
too. There is not much magic associated with this. It's a well known
template. We can not have everybody who contributed once in the list of
authors or editors. That is why we have a contributor section. The editor
and the author tasks require active presence in the WG and presence
at conf calls. Manu had neither of these involvements.

I left his name there in the hope that he would come back, but that
never happened. The foaf+ssl protocol has not changed in any great
depth since I first blogge about it at Sun Microssytems.

Here is the early story of foaf+ssl
 http://lists.foaf-project.org/pipermail/foaf-protocols/2008-October/000000.html

We have done a huge amount of work here since then, implementation wise, discussion
wise,...