Re: WebID+TLS Spec was (Re: Signed WebID documents and trust wrt GPG Web of Trust)

On 29 May 2013, at 10:59, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> On 29 May 2013, at 01:14, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On 28 May 2013 11:14, Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@telecom-sudparis.eu> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> In the discussion about the potential use of WebID + TLS as a mean to
>>> sign-in to Debian Web services/apps, we somehow came to the conclusion
>>> [0] that it could be used provided that we establish trust in WebIDs
>>> presented by users, only if they are signed with a GnuPG signature made
>>> by an existing Debian contributor, leveraging the existing Debian GnuPG
>>> Web of Trust [1].
>>>
>>> This use of an existing GnuPG WoT, which is essentially distributed,
>>> fits well with many interesting aspects of WebID (under control of the
>>> user, etc.).
>>>
>>> Wrt Linked Data, this is not exactly optimal : GPG signatures apply for
>>> documents and not triples, so the model is not as elegant as we'd want
>>> it ? I guess other signature mechanisms could be more Linked Data proof,
>>> and may make more sense wrt WebID and trust.
>>>
>>> Has this topic of trust wrt WebID been discussed already ?
>>>
>>> Manu Sporny, who wrote the original WebID+TLS spec,
>>
>> Saying that he wrote the original WebID+TLS spec is pure fantasy. He helped host
>> the group for a while. The spec has it's origins way before Manu's intervention.
>> He never participated in the WebID Incubator group.
>> As a result I have removed his name as a author from the latest spec drafts,
>> given that he is in fact publically arguing against WebId. His name
>> remains in the contributors section though.
>>
>> You could be right, though that may be slightly harsh.
>>
>> I seem to recall that Manu made a big contribution to putting the spec into a professional format.
>
> That may be. But that makes him a contributor, not an author or an editor. And so I have kept him as a
> contributor.
>

>> Manu left the working group,
>
> He never joined as far as I recall, so he could not have left.
>
>> among other reasons, because he felt that there would be greater adoption in the short to medium term, without the hard dependency on X.509 certificates.  This was also the feedback we (Manu and I) got when speaking to Canonical on a conf call about getting WebID into Ubuntu.
>
> I was not at that call. So I am not sure what was said. Manu's aims were very different from what the group
> here was trying to do. His work may be compatible with what we are doing, as most standards in the end should
> be.
>
> For the record, I dont think manu's aims were inconsistent with all of the group.
>
> I do recall you and he had something of a debate, on which perhaps personally the two of you did see eye to eye, on all matters.
>
> His focus was on the user experience in the short to medium term to make make WebID usable until browser manufacturers improved crypto and certificates.  In retrospect, it was perhaps the way to go, imho.

It is the way to go, and the browser manufacturers are adding crypto to the browser.
When they are finished it will be compatible with WebID.

In any case Manu did not participate in any of the work for the past 3 years or so, and
has publically been critical of WebID.