Re: [foaf-protocols] WebID status recap?

On 6/14/13 11:42 AM, Peter Williams wrote:
> that's a big change - doing away with the notion that https (because
> its ubiquitous ) had/has some mystical privacy-enhancing power; or
> that certs in x.509 or jwt form have some special properties.

Yes!

> Folks now know now generally that crypto solves nothing (if the
> trusted vendors are not so trustworthy as previously believed).

It's the application of crypto, within the context of logic, that has
tangible utility.

> Folks do now assume that AT ONE LEVEL OR ANOTHER technology subject to
> public policy (and that includes the web) is tracking you; and the
> crypto present in commodity-grade https does nothing to address that.
> IN fact, its there to facilitate and make it easier to accomplish.

Yes! That's always the endgame when the following intersect:

1. centralization
2. misguided ambivalence -- on the part of users that are increasingly
cognitively dissonant about the complex issue of privacy, magnified by
the Web and Internet.

> The more security engineering folks should have been taught that
> crypto is about the exact opposite - being actually all about
> (security policy) accountability. I.e. track that document number,
> track that distribution list, track that set of edits, and track those
> changes in security markings (every 10 years...). Its there to impose
> “double entry” bookkeeping, for a distributed set of books.

Nice analogy.

> I have seen three security model and philosophies applied to FOAF: i)
> PGP-ish key distribution that actually used the metadata-approach to
> design, ii) the DARPA-sponsored use of SPARQL-like queries to define
> remote operation protocols, iii) webid, and its early attempt to
> bridge the 2 2 worlds of information queries and data protocols while
> not straying from the assumptions of REST - that defines how the web
> world is supposed to build such bridges.
> is obscurity number four? is his the return of the world of personal
> codebooks, semantic and semiotic countermeasures? This is likely to be
> more successful than pitching a defense based on using machines to
> guard against machine attack.
>
> As always security scheme design is about designing for the complexity
> of decoding. So design encoders that force use of (time-) expensive
> decoders. In that window of complexity, you have a security measure
> (the time it takes to decode). Your security model has to be based on
> the military notion that: I want it secret for X time (after which the
> metadata has little value, anyways).

But you can use logic to warp time, even more so if the logic becomes
webby :-)

Anyway, take a look at: http://youid.openlinksw.com -- it is in quiet
release mode (i.e., progressive addition of screencasts and tutorials en
route to helping consumers understand their ability to control and
calibrate their vulnerabilities online).

Kingsley