Re: [foaf-protocols] WebID status recap?

that'sa big change - doing away with the notion that https (because its ubiquitous ) had/has some mystical privacy-enhancing power; or that certs in x.509 or jwt form have some special properties.

Folks now know now generally that crypto solves nothing (if the trusted vendors are not so trustworthy as previously believed). Folks do now assume that AT ONE LEVEL OR ANOTHER technology subject to public policy (and that includes the web) is tracking you; and the crypto present in commodity-grade https does nothing to address that. IN fact, its there to facilitate and make it easier to accomplish.

The more security engineering folks should have been taught that crypto is about the exact opposite - being actually all about (security policy) accountability. I.e. track that document number, track that distribution list, track that set of edits, and track those changes in security markings (every 10 years...). Its there to impose “double entry” bookkeeping, for a distributed set of books.

I have seen three security model and philosophies applied to FOAF: i) PGP-ish key distribution that actually used the metadata-approach to design, ii) the DARPA-sponsored use of SPARQL-like queries to define remote operation protocols, iii) webid, and its early attempt to bridge the 2 2 worlds of information queries and data protocols while not straying from the assumptions of REST - that defines how the web world is supposed to build such bridges.

is obscurity number four? is his the return of the world of personal codebooks, semantic and semiotic countermeasures? This is likely to be more successful than pitching a defense based on using machines to guard against machine attack.

As always security scheme design is about designing for the complexity of decoding. So design encoders that force use of (time-) expensive decoders. In that window of complexity, you have a security measure (the time it takes to decode). Your security model has to be based on the military notion that: I want it secret for X time (after which the metadata has little value, anyways).

Sent from Windows Mail