Re: mitigating Webid (+ TLS') single point of failure

On 14 June 2013 13:46, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

>  On 6/14/13 7:19 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

>> But what is the "string" being hashed?
>>

>>  The content that describes the concept. Thus, the di: scheme URI is just
>> another URIs that denotes a concept such that look-up (de-reference)
>> resolves to description oriented content. We have a resolver for the di:
>> scheme URI hence the &http parameter.
>>

>  We need the di: to be an IFP ... then I can do cool things like send
> money to your account.
>

> I am thinking you want a hash of the public key. Then you want that to be
> denoted using a di: scheme URI. Then you di: URI to resolve to its
> description. In addition, you need a signature produced using the private
> key that pairs with the public key. Then, like a foaf:mbox, you want a
> relation (unamed at this point) that's inverse functional which amounts to
> making the di: URI offer the same identification characteristics as an
> email address.
>
> To me, this means enhancing the description of the public key (via tweaks
> to our ontology) such that a new relation (type IFP) associates the public
> key with a signature derived from a hash of the public key's modulus and
> exponent.

What we need is a function hash(key) that gives a consistent result.

My question is how did you do this.

Maybe you did it in a standard way, maybe a non standard way, but it's a
data point.

Maybe there is a standard way to do this, or maybe we can create one.

There's at least one standard way to serialize a key and that's PEM.
Another more complex standard is to canonicalize JSON LD.

We could simply take a sha1 of the PEM.  But I'd like to know about any
current implementations, so we can reuse, if that's appropriate.

Make sense?