Re: WebID History - is also: Webid Editor/Author issue

On 1 June 2013 13:32, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2013, at 13:20, "Andreas Kuckartz" <A.Kuckartz@ping.de> wrote:
>
> > Henry Story:
> >>  According to the criteria you put forward below for being author of a
> spec,

> >> So according to your own criteria, you cannot be an author of this spec
> >> either.
> >
> > I do not understand this. "author" != "editor".
>
> Ah yes.
>
> The next paragraph in Manu's e-mail was the relevant one
>
> > You are an author of the document if you've contributed foundational
> > ideas, arguments, or spec text to the body of the document.
>
> And I don't believe Manu satisfies those criteria.
> The ideas and arguments had been published in academic journals and on
> the W3c site before. And as Manu wrote:
>
> > I decided to gather much of the writing across the Web and put it into a
> > coherent specification that would then be used to pitch a WebID Working
> > Group at W3C.
>
> so the spec text is probably a lot of text I wrote out there on the subject
> in wikis and blog posts.

What it boils down to is whether manu contributed foundational arguments,
ideas or spec text to the original spec.

Given that he WROTE the first spec, and contributed many edits, it's a
difficult position to take that he provided none of these.

If you definitively feel that he should not be there, then he's said he
wont contest it, but it does not do wonder in terms of "communications and
image" for webid.

I'd suggest leaving all the authors in place, for the time being, and
trying to understand the new work Manu has done with WebIDs.  We all want
secure encryption, signatures, and payments, right?  Also take time to
explain to people how WebID has improved in the last 2 years, many
(including dan brickley, inventor of FOAF) have asked for you to continue
your excellent blogging series that got people interested in WebID in the
first place.

Why not let things cool down a bit.  And if at some point in the future you
feel that Manu's contribution was not 'foundational', talk to him in person
about it, and change the spec accordingly.