Re: WebID 1.0 -- Section 3 -- Removal of Note

On 2/17/13 8:23 AM, Henry Story wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2013, at 13:59, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com
> <mailto:melvincarvalho@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> "Note
>>
>> Hash URIs are encouraged when choosing a WebID since 303 redirects
>> require an extra HTTP request for an Agent to get from the WebID
>> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html#dfn-webid>
>> to the WebID Profile
>> <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html#dfn-webid_profile>.
>> All examples in the spec will use such hash URIs."
>>
>> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html#the-webid-http-uri
>>
>> This has come up in some other threads.
>>
>> Leaving the # vs slash "perma debate" aside may I propose that this
>> part is removed.
>>
> This is issue-74
>>
>> While, I am in favour of the sentiment of using # URIs but I dont see
>> any evidence that this note will have the desired effect.  Why even
>> mention 303s at all? All the examples use # URIs so, imho, this point
>> is not really needed, and may add confusion to implementers.
>>
> We are mentioning 303s because we need to mention the relation between
> the WebID and the Profile document.

No true. You are doing so because you are trying to impose a personal
preference. Here is a very simple solution re. docs:

1. WebID Spec -- describes what a WebID is, no more no less
2. WebID oriented Profile Document guide -- describes the minimal
requirements for a document that would play a key role in verifying the
identity of its subject
3. WebID+TLS Protocol -- a document that describes how the combination
of a WebID and a Profile Document deliver Web-scale verifiable identity.

You can actually complete 1-3 without ever mandating a style of HTTP URI
and here's why, since for whatever reasons, this remains unclear to you:

Human (he/she) making a profile document using the file create, save,
and share pattern:

In this scenario he/she needs to produce a simple profile document that
enables them ultimately serves as their own identity provider. The
easiest way forward would be to look at examples from 1-3 which are all
hash URI based.  Net effect, to get going with next to zero gravity,
they create a document and publish to a Web accessible location [1][2][3].

Software agent making a profile document:

In this scenario the Agent needs to produce a profile document on behalf
of itself or others e.g., allowing a user with Twitter, Facebook,
LinkedIn etc. accounts to leverage these services as Identity Providers.
The developer of such a solution will simply use whatever HTTP URI style
works best for the solution being delivered. The only proviso is
conformance with the requirements for publishing 5-Star Linked Data [4].

> We need to tie these together, since otherwise there is nothing to say
> about WebIDs.

All you have to say about a WebID in the WebID description document is
this:
A WebID is a HTTP URI that denotes an Agent.

You can embellish the above with what's there right now modulo the
distracting notice.

> There are two ways WebIDs get related to the profile document: either
> the hash to non hash relation, or the 303s link. Speaking of 303s is
> just a consequence of allowing them  into our scope per definition.

See my points 1-3 above. You really need to stop conflating a WebID and
a WebID oriented Profile Document.

Links (none of this is new to you, Henry):

1. http://bit.ly/O4LNKf -- How To Create & Control Your Own Verifiable
Digital Identity, at Web-scale
2. http://bit.ly/N6Y13a -- ditto using Dropbox (one of an increasing
number of Web services oriented towards the: file create, save, and
share pattern)
3. http://bit.ly/P3WECX -- ditto using Amazon S3
4. http://bit.ly/YgA1j2 -- using Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, G+ etc..
as Identity Providers (the kind of compatibility solution that brings
the Web 2.0 installed base to WebID with ease via power of Linked Data).