Re: rel="meta" or rel="acl" ? was: Web Access Cntrl Spec?

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com>wrote:

>> rel="meta" was
>> >
>> > Yes.
>> >
>> > It will be fixed.
>>
>> We need to get those who have implementations to agree on this first. :-)
>>
>> And I am not sure what forum is available where we can agree on edits to
>> the acl ontolgy or the http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl wiki page,
>> so I am sending this mail a bit widely around. The WebAccessControl wiki
>> page suggests that the RWW Community Group is the place to discuss this.
>>
>> I suppose for the moment the WebAccessControl wiki page plays the role of
>> spec. It says:
>>
>> [[
>>   The client follows, for example, an HTTP header field:
>>
>>   Link: <meta/profile.meta>; rel=meta
>> ]]
>>
>> Alexandre Bertails once argued that meta is too general, and that this
>> should
>> be an "acl" link. Neither "acl" nor "meta" are registered in the iana
>> document
>> http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml
>> which is I think where this needs to be registered.
>> See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.1
>>
>> For us to register this we should probably have something a bit more
>> spec like than the wiki page.
>>
>> I also would like to add to the ontology
>>  - support for regular expressions on urls
>>  - a acl:include relation to include acls from other documents
>>

> I'm happy to change implementations if there's a good reason to.
>
> However, we've been using rel="meta" since at least 2009

That's not a good enough reason not to change it. :)

> My understanding of the ACL system was that is was a metaphor for UNIX
> style inodes which provide meta data about a file.  While the ACL is in
> there, there can be other information that is fundamental to the resource
> too (or we may wish to add some later).

The advantage of using rel="acl" is that if you have a binary file (i.e. a
picture), you can use rel="acl" for access control policies and rel="meta"
to provide more information about it.

Andrei