Re: rel="meta" or rel="acl" ? was: Web Access Cntrl Spec?

On 10 August 2013 10:56, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 10 Aug 2013, at 00:18, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
> >> When talking about this with Alexandre Bertails he thought that
> rel="meta" was
> >> not the right relation and that rel="acl" would be more correct.
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > It will be fixed.
>
> We need to get those who have implementations to agree on this first. :-)
>
> And I am not sure what forum is available where we can agree on edits to
> the acl ontolgy or the http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebAccessControl wiki page,
> so I am sending this mail a bit widely around. The WebAccessControl wiki
> page suggests that the RWW Community Group is the place to discuss this.
>
> I suppose for the moment the WebAccessControl wiki page plays the role of a
> spec. It says:
>
> [[
>   The client follows, for example, an HTTP header field:
>
>   Link: <meta/profile.meta>; rel=meta
> ]]
>
> Alexandre Bertails once argued that meta is too general, and that this
> should
> be an "acl" link. Neither "acl" nor "meta" are registered in the iana
> document
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml
> which is I think where this needs to be registered.
> See http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988#section-6.1
>
> For us to register this we should probably have something a bit more
> spec like than the wiki page.
>
> I also would like to add to the ontology
>  - support for regular expressions on urls
>  - a acl:include relation to include acls from other documents

I'm happy to change implementations if there's a good reason to.

However, we've been using rel="meta" since at least 2009

My understanding of the ACL system was that is was a metaphor for UNIX
style inodes which provide meta data about a file.  While the ACL is in
there, there can be other information that is fundamental to the resource
too (or we may wish to add some later).

There has been previous discussions to register rel="meta" with IANA e.g.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2010JanMar/0244.html