Re: [foaf-protocols] New attack plucks secrets from HTTPS-protected pages

On 8/4/13 5:34 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 4 August 2013 22:54, Peter Williams <home_pw@msn.com
> <mailto:home_pw@msn.com>> wrote:
>
>     one of the things that came "before its time" is making a come
>     back. One has to play the "factoring" game "sensibly" - much as
>     one has to allow security committees to be stacked with
>     agendized-folks with money (that pays for core research, too).
>     If you look in dotNet, there is a particular ws-trust/ws-security
>     binding. Its compatible with java, etc (circa 5 years ago, when
>     Java security mattered.) More importantly, its compatible with
>     apache libs, these days. In short, the saml process of delivering
>     a per-recipient encrypted proof key (within the signed XML) was
>     leveraged so that it delivered a client's EPHEMERAL rsa key. Any
>     client proxy (and you can have n of those, and being generated for
>     a given service instance exposing service&policy-metadata) can
>     maintain 1000 of these in its RSA security token cache; before
>     keys overwrite cache slots. Typically, the client signs web
>     service call headers (timestamp, and address) using the RSA key,
>     rather than signing with hmac similarly.
>     So, if you are worried about your 512 bit RSA being factored in
>     500 hours, (or 50, or 5)  why not give it a life time of 500mS,
>     and just use 1000 of them? There is built in probability drive in
>     every CPU...
>

> Ephemeral keys are a nice option.  But long lived keys also have
> advantages:
>
> 1. You can build up a reputation for each key

You can't have it both ways!

> 2. You can build cachable relationships between your identity and your key

See comment above.

> 3. You can store virtual currency against a key, and transfer or prove
> ownership by signing

See comment above.

> 4. You can spend time generating a key via proof of work algorithm to
> show you're not a sock puppet

See comment above.

> So there's a trade off between security and key management.

The moment you think about a single key, you've stopped thinking about a
composite key. Once you stop thinking about a composite key, forget the
entire pursuit.

Remember, eons ago, I said this whole thing was about a composite key +
logic. Modulo Peter, I got a lot of strange looks, and so I just stopped
talking about composite keys, mirrored claims, and a semantically driven
web of trust.

We can't have it both ways. The game has to be "deceptively simple" but
never "simply simple".

Convenience is always the enemy of solid pursuits of complex issues such
as privacy.

To conclude, "one key" doesn't work. A composite key has to be the
starting point. In WebID based trust thinking you have a composite
comprised of:

1. private key
2. public key
3. HTTP URI .

Unlike a SQL DBMS composite key, this one is enhanced by the fact that
HTTP URIs are denoting Agents which introduces DNS which introduces the
Authority to persist claims. Then, again unlike a SQL RDBMS we have
logic discernible from the Trust Web that starts with the Profile Graph
and its machine-comprehensible entity relationship semantics. Finally,
we have the keypair proof from asymmetric keys (the public and private
key pair) .

When I construct a data access policy around your WebID it isn't around
a single key. It's actually around a composite key re. the WebID+TLS
protocol. In short, that would be the case whenever the mirroring of
claims between a locally stored certificate and some publicly accessible
profile document drives the authentication protocol.

There isn't a single secret. There isn't a single key. But none of that
stops the use of a WebID as a canonical identifier for an Agent in a
manner that scales to the Web and the Internet.

Kingsley