Google Summer of Code & WebID

On 28 Apr 2013, at 13:21, Dileepa Jayakody <dileepajayakody@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My Name is Dileepa Jayakody, a Sri Lankan research student interested in semantic web, linked-data and digital identity concepts. I have been learning about WebID for past few days and I'm most interested about possibilities of WebID integration to provide a verified digital identity solution across multiple domains (SNS, email, blogs etc).
>
> I'm interested in applying for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) this year and there are 2 projects which were most interesting for me. Both are from Apache Stanbol project which suits my research interests on semantic web.
> 1. Using Semantic Concepts in Federated Social Web : STANBOL-1009
> 2. Entity Disambiguation for Stanbol : STANBOL-1037

You, or others on this list, may also be interested in two other projects on LDP on the W3C site involving Scala:

   http://www.w3.org/2013/03/gsoc2013#ldp-rdf

Google sponsors the student for $5000 [1].

The LDP project should be very interesting to any student who wants to be
at the leading edge of standards. What could it be used for? Simple:
to create a distributed secure Social Web. What is that? See my
talks on http://bblfish.net/ for more information.

Alexandre Bertails, one of the mentors is at the W3C at MIT, and I am in Paris.
But we accept fluent Scala Devs from anywhere. ( I say fluent because there won't
be enough time to get going teaching you Scala).

  If you are interested please contact us ASAP. The timeline is very short. The
deadline for student applications is May 3rd.

 http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013

> For both use-cases I find WebID an excellent option.
> For use-case-1, WebID can be used for federated social-web as it supports a user-profile with links to friend lists, photos etc, with ability to control access to such resources over social-graph.
> For use-case-2 'Person' disambiguation can be tacked by developing a disambiguation algorithm by using WebID as a verified digital identity.

yes.

> Stanbol uses Apache Clerezza as a RDF engine, and AFAIK Clerezza supports WebID. However when I discussed with Stanbol guys on their dev-list I got to know the WebID support is currently disabled due to recent changes in WebID spec and changes in jaxrs architecture.

I worked with the group two years ago on Clerezza, and the project then died as Reto the lead developer
went to study philosophy and work part time at Adobe. I really don't know how far it evolved since my last
commit, that adapted I think a lot of clerezza to the latest ontology:

   https://github.com/bblfish/clerezza

I have been working on much leaner Scala libraries since then.

> I would very much like to know your suggestions and ideas on integrating WebID for above use-cases. Further I would like your help in understanding the architecture of WebID and how I can integrate it in existing systems to provide a verified digital identity.

The problem I had with the Clerezza developers is in how their framework made it difficult to find out
where information was coming from - and this is very important when you are dealing with trust. So you'd
need to look into that with them  to see how their thinking has evolved.