Re: Archaic HTTP "From:" Header

On 4 April 2013 15:45, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

>  On 4/4/13 6:11 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
>

> On 4 April 2013 03:32, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 4/3/13 7:01 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>>
>>> On 04/04/2013, at 4:18 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  All,

>>> It's in active use by spiders and robots.
>>>
>>>  Suggestion:

>>> If you want something that takes a link, we have a Link header.
>>>
>>> Whatever you do, don't prefix it with X-.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>

>>> --
>>> Mark Nottingham   http://www.mnot.net/
>>>

>>  Okay re. not taking the X- route.
>>
>> With regards to "From:" I am saying it should accept literals or URIs
>> instead of just literals. Net effect, I can then use:
>> kidehen@openlinksw.com or <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com> or <
>> http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> .
>>
>> "Link:" is also a good idea, I'll maul this over as it could also work
>> from the desired bootstrap perspective.
>

> +1
>
>  In fact we could call this "WebID Simple" perhaps?
>

> The name should reflect use. Here we want to place a WebID in the "From:"
> header in an HTTP request. We then seek to have a server verify the WebID
> in "From:" using:

Whether the server wants to verify or not is up to the server.

> 1. a simple profile lookup -- no TLS

Yes, This is the power of the follow your nose pattern.

> 2. a more secure lookup -- using TLS i.e., WebID+TLS (this would mean
> using HTTP redirection to an HTTPS URL that forces the client to present a
> Certificate with a WebID watermark).

Yes

There are many more options for auth e.g. cookies, unguessable strings, one
time tokens, security by obscurity.  These can be part of

A) the headers
B) the URL
C) a cookie
D) the protocol handshake (eg wss)
E) the profile page (e.g. you put a token in your page as auth)

All of these are well established methods for auth.  The game starts with
identification.