Re: Archaic HTTP "From:" Header

On 4/4/13 6:11 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 4 April 2013 03:32, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/3/13 7:01 PM, Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>         On 04/04/2013, at 4:18 AM, Kingsley Idehen
>         <kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>             All,
>
>             I think the HTTP "From:" header [1] is now truly archaic
>             circa. 2013. If the range of this particular predicate was
>             a URI it would really aid our quest for a RWW.
>
>         It's in active use by spiders and robots.
>
>             Suggestion:
>
>             As part of our RWW bootstrap effort, we could consider an
>             "X-From:" header that basically takes a URI or Literal value.
>
>             I think we can flesh this out across WebID and RWW via
>             implementations before moving up to TAG and IETF.
>
>             Mark: what do you think, anyway ? :-)
>
>         If you want something that takes a link, we have a Link header.
>
>         Whatever you do, don't prefix it with X-.
>
>         Cheers,
>

>         --
>         Mark Nottingham http://www.mnot.net/
>

>     Okay re. not taking the X- route.
>
>     With regards to "From:" I am saying it should accept literals or
>     URIs instead of just literals. Net effect, I can then use:
>     kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com> or
>     <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> or
>     <http://kingsley.idehen.net/dataspace/person/kidehen#this> .
>
>     "Link:" is also a good idea, I'll maul this over as it could also
>     work from the desired bootstrap perspective.
>

> +1
>
> In fact we could call this "WebID Simple" perhaps?

The name should reflect use. Here we want to place a WebID in the
"From:" header in an HTTP request. We then seek to have a server verify
the WebID in "From:" using:

1. a simple profile lookup -- no TLS
2. a more secure lookup -- using TLS i.e., WebID+TLS (this would mean
using HTTP redirection to an HTTPS URL that forces the client to present
a Certificate with a WebID watermark).

Kingsley