Re: Domain of :key

On Mon 2013-Apr-01, at 19:57, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
 wrote:

>> I'd contend that the cert ont _is_ (or at least, could easily be and arguably should be) a low-level ontology: it exists to describe keys and certificates. I don't see a sensible reason why the domain of the things keys and certificates described by it are associated with shouldn't be as broad as possible unless there's a good reason not to — and I'm at this point not entirely understanding what that reason might be.
>
> Because there is a specific relation of agents to keys, such that the agent is in control of the key.
> This is what WebID needs.

Does it? WebID just needs a relationship between an entity being described and a public key, where control of the corresponding private key can be demonstrated, and for that relationship to be traversable.

The term "agent" is used throughout the specification and indeed there's nothing wrong with defining the holder of a WebID as being of class foaf:Agent (although it doesn't as far as I can see) — but there's nothing in the logic as written which depends that fact, and even if there was, it would simply not work on things which had associated keys but which weren't Agents (which would be fine if WebID was specified as only being applicable to agents).

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Analyst - BBC Archive Development,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Quay, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.