Re: Domain of :key

On 1 April 2013 20:57, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:

> On 1 Apr 2013, at 20:49, Mo McRoberts <Mo.McRoberts@bbc.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On Mon 2013-Apr-01, at 14:12, Dominik Tomaszuk <ddooss@wp.pl> wrote:
> >
> >> In which point rdf:Resource is better than owl:Thing? I do some
> ontology state-of-the-art and I don't see too much ontologies with uses
> rdfs:Resource in rdfs:domain or rdfs:range. My conclusion to these
> aproaches is that rdfs:Resource is used in low-level ontologies and cert
> ont isn't in that level. Probably better consensus is owl:Thing.
> >> Of course, I don't change my mind and I still think that foaf:Agent is
> better.
> >
> > I'd contend that the cert ont _is_ (or at least, could easily be and
> arguably should be) a low-level ontology: it exists to describe keys and
> certificates. I don't see a sensible reason why the domain of the things
> keys and certificates described by it are associated with shouldn't be as
> broad as possible unless there's a good reason not to — and I'm at this
> point not entirely understanding what that reason might be.
>
> Because there is a specific relation of agents to keys, such that the
> agent is in control of the key.
> This is what WebID needs.
>
> If you need another relation from a anything to a key, there are many
> functions
>
> - rdfs:seeAlso
> - rdfs:member
> - xxx:signedWith
> - xxx:encryptedWith
> - xyz:myOwnerHasKey
> - xdw:ILikeThisKeyButITsNotMine
> - etc...
>

> > I don't have a strong feeling on owl:Thing versus rdfs:Resource, except
> that it's not particularly clear what benefit is derived from restricting
> it to owl:Thing.
> >
> > There's a school of thought evident in this thread that one solution is
> to define another ontology which is identical to the cert ontology except
> for the domain of the things keys and certificates can be associated with.
> I don't buy that — it breaks interop. While semweb is, as Kingsley says,
> "fork friendly", there is still a cost associated with that (and in this
> case it's divisiveness).
>
> The school of thought is that we have a use case for the relation we have
> defined. It has been clearly
> defined and we find it useful. You have not defined the use case for your
> relation, or at least you
> have only been handwaving in the direction.
>
> We may find that you don't need a new relation at all but that you can
> compose it with other existing ones..

You've been given many use cases.  You are trying to dismiss arguments by
labeling them 'handwavy'.

I'll repeat one.  Facebook integration.  You dont have much of a social
system if you design it to exclude facebook.

The correct way is to include BOTH facebook and WebID not pick a winner.  I
say this is a bug, the onus is on you to come up with a convincing argument
for exclusion.