Re: WebID questions -- was: [dane] Call for Adoption: "Using Secure DNS to Associate Certificates with Domain Names For S/MIME"

On 26 September 2012 13:59, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 26 September 2012 12:10, Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net> wrote:
> > Answer to the questions and summary at the end.
> >
> > On 26 Sep 2012, at 12:14, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> fundamental questions.

> sidetracked here a bit because of my-profile.eu

> one ID across multiple sites is in your view a horrendous thing. Is that
> the fundamental problem?

> > Ok so this paper is about "Origin-Bound" Certificates. The problem is
> that they are trying to use certificates the way one uses   cookies. A
> hidden mechanism for a server to identify you securely from on session to
> the next. And this is not what we are interested in here, since we are
> interested in cross site identity ( selectable by the user in a way which
> he is at all time in control of)

> invasion.

> aware of the identity he is revealing on each site. This is a simple User
> Interface issue which Aza Raskin showed in 2009 how to solve
> >>>

> https://blogs.oracle.com/bblfish/entry/identity_in_the_browser_firefox
> >>
> >> Manually choosing one of hundreds of certs sure sounds like a problem
> to me!
> >
> > You would never have more than a handful to choose from, and your
> certificates could
> > default to being the last one you used for a site.
> >
> > The reason you are thinking you need 100s of certificates is probably
> because you think
> > you need a certificate per site. This misunderstanding is deeply
> ingrained it seems.
>
> It is not a misunderstanding, it is a requirement! You think I'm OK
> with all sites being able to link me up: I'm not!

Ben, doesnt google do this already.  I see "SIgn in with Google" button
across the web.  I presume that will share an identity across different
domains, much like OpenID or Facebook Connect.

Similarly the ubiquitous google +1 buttons have similar privacy issues.

Is one of the issues, as mentioned in the IETF document that the UI pops up
BEFORE you have had a chance to view content?