Re: WEbID Todos

On 8 Oct 2012, at 11:36, Ben Laurie <benl@google.com> wrote:

> On 6 October 2012 08:48, Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
>> WebID is actually 2 specs.
>>
>> 1. The first part is authentication via your public key which is a IFP of
>> your identity.  In certain circumstances (ie caching, just like
>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys ) you can be done here and it operates like SSH.
>>
>> (1) I think solves the unlinkability problem
>
> How? Clearly the public key makes all authentications that use it linkable.

+1 yes.

It' is only unlinkable in the bizarre sense (which may in fact be nonsense)
in which for Harry Halpin BrowserId  has some unlinkable properties that
WebID lacks.

In any case the linkability issue is one which requires one to decide who
the attacker is according to the definition [1]

 • If the attacker is the site you are logging into, and you want to communicate
with that site unlinkably - as a wikileaks leaker would want to do to cover his
tracks - then using WebID, BrowserId or other such systems is really not the
right technology. That is pretty self evident.

 • On the other hand if you want to avoid a centralised network, be able to create
long term relationships across organisations - and the site you are communicating
with is not an attacker - then WebID is the right solution. The linkability properties
of WebID becomes a positive without the negative of the unlinkability.

Perhaps that is how we can summarise the linkability properties of WebID?

Henry

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-privacy-terminology-01#section-4