Re: [webid spec] overview section

On 11/20/12 4:43 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Kingsley Idehen wrote:

>>> WebID 1.0 is getting to the point where there's almost nothing to
>>> specify, it's a one liner of words which equate to "a dereferencable
>>> URI for an Agent",
>>
>> I wish :-)
>>
>> We haven't been able to get beyond:
>>
>> 1. dereferencable URI that denotes an Agent
>> 2. dereferencable HTTP URI that denotes an Agent
>> 3. derferencable hash based HTTP URI that denotes an Agent.
>>
>> Even the indentation above highlights interop issues with visual
>> broader and narrower effect.
>
> Yup, it's just extra stars really, (1) is required (2) is
> common-linked-data (3) is "nicest".
>
> Interop depends on perspective and context, if working within the
> realm of HTTP and RDF, then punting the most common/simple pattern
> will have benefits, if working within a more general web realm, or
> even net realm, then increased generality will lead to more interop.
>
> Which is where's it's interesting, because obviously the more general
> WebID is defined, the more potentially-interoperable it is, however
> the tighter it's defined, the more realistically-interoperable it is,
> as it limits adoption pain and makes it simpler to implement and
> support within the common HTTP realm.
>
> Both are important, and there's a trade-off to be made.

Yes, but an Architect goes for interop. An Engineer optimization. Thus,
specs should be driven by Architecture that's as dexterous as is
possible while Engineering implements the specs as optimal as is
possible :-)

The cost of HTTP URIs vs hash HTTP URIs is utterly insignificant
relative to the interop and adoption (not implementation) costs. Many
simple implementations doesn't in anyway imply mass adoption. A single
"deceptively simple" solution can trigger and explosion. Exhibit #1 is
the World Wide Web re. fusion of TCP/IP and Hyperlinks via URI (dare I
say) abstraction.