Re: Principal term choice - Was: Re: Identity interoperability

On 11/20/12 10:50 AM, Henry Story wrote:
> Notice that these definitions always speak of the "Principal resource".
> Those are  2 words. You have the Principal which is the string, and the
> principal resource which is the document  which we call the WebID Profile
> in the case of WebID. Java allows public keys to be principals, and it
> is not clear there what the resource is on the web for it.

If the principal is a string, and the "principal resource" a chunk of
data, then end product is simply this:
a string that denotes the chunk of data. And by de-reference the string
can used as a mechanism to get you to a representation of the data (its
values).

When the string is used in a specific system e.g., URI abstraction, you
end up with a denotation mechanism that *automagically* resolves to
data. Example if the string is a URL and the system in question is the Web.

At then end of all of this we are going to be left with the following:

1. Principal and Principal Resource -- a word and a phrase that will
open up their own can of worms since most won't take the time to look at
your interop document.
2. Inference -- should reasoning be a MUST or SHOULD when implementing a
WebID over TLS based verifier?

Object identity and its effects on equivalence by name or value is old
subject matter that's easy to understand without any SPARQL examples
when explaining the effects of owl:sameAs and inverseFunctionalProperty
entity relationship semantics.

In an attempt to make things simple, for the inattentive, we are heading
in the opposite direction, unfortunately.

Links:

1. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~clamen/OODBMS/Manifesto/htManifesto/node4.html
-- Object Identity .