Re: New WebID spec on identity.

From: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 17:38:42 +0100
To: Andrei SAMBRA <andrei.sambra@gmail.com>
Cc: public-webid <public-webid@w3.org>
On 19 November 2012 15:04, Andrei SAMBRA <andrei.sambra@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've started drafting the new WebID spec, which deals exclusively with
> identity. It should reflect what we discussed at the last teleconf. You can
> see the latest draft version here:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/WebID/raw-file/tip/spec/identity-respec.html
>
> I'm not even sure how to call it at this point, since WebIDentity Identity
> spec just doesn't sound right. Maybe we should call it the "WebID spec",
> and refer to the old one as WebID-TLS.
>
> Please let me know if/what comments you may have, so I can make the
> necessary adjustments.

+1

I very much like this separation of identity and auth (ie authn and authz)

Over the years implementers have asked that apps should have a means by
which to contact the user (ie foaf : mbox) at the same time there are cases
where you may want to protect the email from spam e.g. this was a use case
that plaxo had, and facebook do not have an mbox in the turtle that they
serve.  So perhaps the *should* is enough here, or maybe it's a case for
access control rules.