Re: Interesting Identity & Privacy Presentation

On 11/8/12 1:50 PM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> On 8 November 2012 19:05, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com
> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/8/12 12:16 PM, Markus Sabadello wrote:
>>     Kaliya has been running the semi-annual Internet Identity
>>     Workshop <http://internetidentityworkshop.com/> for a long time.
>>     At each of these workshops, at least one person typically comes
>>     up with a session titled "What is Identity" or similar.
>>     Also at each of these workshops, there are always LOTS of
>>     sessions on (very diverse) technical approaches to "do identity"
>>     on the Internet.
>>     So over the years, Kaliya's been exposed to many different ways
>>     of thinking about online identity, on the business, legal and
>>     technical levels.
>>
>>     If you want to "drill down into the details" and "build systems
>>     that have consistent behaviour", then that's valuable, but you
>>     immediately commit yourself to certain assumptions which not
>>     everybody would agree with.
>>     E.g. you may commit to a worldview that all online identity
>>     things are best done with Linked Data and WebID, which is great,
>>     because it's so tightly based on core web principles, and
>>     decentralized, and etc.
>>     But it's not the only way to do identity online, over the years
>>     there have been so many different approaches.
>>
>>     So I believe Kaliya's intention behind this presentation was
>>     indeed to remain on a high enough level to still say interesting
>>     things about identity on the Internet, without making commitments
>>     to any specific "this is how you do it".
>
>     Yes, in a nutshell. We have to establish high level concepts
>     before elving into implementation details. Whenever aforementioned
>     sequence back to front, we simply end up with yet another
>     unintended and utterly distracting war around implementations
>     details.
>
>     The concept of identity is just that, a concept. It transcends
>     platforms.
>

> I think this makes sense.
>
> You can talk about high level without drilling into the details.
>
> But it's harder to talk about the details without describing the high
> level.
>
> In a perfect world you can connect on both levels.
>
> Identity on the web will ineluctably come down to a string of
> characters used to identify someone, or something.  The alignment of
> web scale identity is about the way that string of characters is
> transformed across context (if at all).

You can connect something like WebID, WebID authentication protocol, and
Web ACLs to the concept of identity by simply ensuring that the
technical specs for each includes a reference to a conceptual guide.
That's it.

WebID is missing a conceptual guide. You always need the following:

1. conceptual guide
2. technical implementation guide
3. examples and tutorials.

Dwelling soley within the realm of #2 always leads to problems once you
encounter those that are conceptually focused. Just as failure to
decouple constituent implementation details ultimately leads to problems.

Kingsley