Re: hash editing: removing apple bug ref from SHOULD

On 6 Dec 2012, at 23:40, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2012, at 05:19 PM, Henry Story wrote:

>>> I said that the tool is widely deployed.
>>>
>>> I have made no assertions about its current usage levels,
>>> which I do not dispute are far from its deployment.
>>>
>>> You have asserted that it is a little-used tool, and based
>>> on this current usage level, you seem to believe that it
>>> will remain so -- even when the technologies we're trying
>>> to boost here increase uptake, and users therefore have
>>> added incentive to use this pre-installed and easy-to-use
>>> (albeit apparently buggy) tool.

>>> I'm asserting that my argument against MUST is *also* an
>>> argument against SHOULD and for the far looser MAY.

>>> The fact that you don't *see* it as making a case against SHOULD
>>> does not make it a fact that it *doesn't* make such a case -- and
>>> I assert once more, it *does* make a case against SHOULD.

>>> What's the typo?
>>>
>>> OH!  Are you saying that you meant to say there, that the
>>> redirect should be from <http://some.eg/foaf%23.*> to
>>> <http://some.eg/foaf#.*>, where the ".*" is means as regex
>>> "0-infinite wildcard"?

>>> Again --
>>>
>>> If the # is SHOULD, and tools are percent-encoding that
>>> character at various points, and other tools are *not*
>>> percent-decoding, then the end result will be MANY ERRORS,
>>> and poor user experience, until and unless implementors
>>> all decide to break the SHOULD with the justifiable argument
>>> that IT BREAKS THE EXPERIENCE.
>>>
>>> Thus -- the # should *NOT* be SHOULD, and people who are
>>> implementing WebID functionality should have the freedom
>>> to choose hashed or hashless based on their audience/target
>>> user-base (say, if your target is Mac users, you won't want
>>> to use hashed, because of the issues I've highlighted ...
>>> but you'll be trading off some degree of performance ...
>>> though that performance could be lost even *with* hashed
>>> URIs if you 303 at some other point for whatever reason...)

>>> Yes, and gee, thanks.

>>> Yes, I say again, it does.  Just because you don't see it,
>>> doesn't mean it isn't there.  (Black swan!  Open world!)
>>
>> This is a question of logic. That is I am taking all possibilities
>> into account. Your argument still does not work against SHOULD
>> since
>>
>> 1. SHOULD allows you for good reasons to make exceptions,
>>    ( and you claim to have a good reason )
>
> SHOULD allows *implementors* to make exceptions for good
> reasons.
>
> I am suggesting, strongly, and more strongly by the minute,
> that the spec SHOULD NOT set things up such that implementors
> go down a known-flawed path (i.e., hashed URIs) until they
> run into enough road blocks to each decide that they have
> good reason to NOT conform with the SHOULD advice.

Ah, you are arguing that WebIDs with Hash URIs SHOULD NOT be WebIDs?
Because of a bug in a rarely used tool on OSX?

That would be a different argument from the one I removed.

>> 2. you have the  redirect from http://profile.eg/joe%23me to http://profile.eg/joe
>>    as an option.
>
> Yes, and setting things up such that all deployers/users have
> to handle this painful scenario is *definitely* going to increase
> uptake and usability of WebID technology....
>
> Or maybe, not.

>>> Indeed.  Then please don't simply paint over the ones with
>>> which you disagree.
>>
>> I am pointing out logical impossibilities in arguments, those
>> are the ones I am picking out at present. Not arguments with
>> whose conclusions I disagree - I have not made up my mind what
>> the conclusion should be.
>
> If you delete an argument from the wiki page, you've painted
> over it.
>
> If it's impossible, point out the impossibility, and be done.

RFC2119 says about SHOULD:

[[
SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
]]

You claim to have a valid reason for your choice, so solution 2 with a SHOULD allows you to use non hash uris if you have valid reasons. Hence your argument is not an argument against position 2:

"A WebID MUST be an HTTP(S) URI and SHOULD be an HTTP(s) hash (#) URI"

Note that this reason is only valid for as long as Apple does not fix their keychain.
If they do it tomorrow, then your arguments vanish.

> My logic may have flaws -- but I've yet to see you point out
> a fatal one, which an impossibility would be.

You argument is just not an argument against position 2.
That's why I removed it from the section of arguments against position 2.

>>> We're working with intelligent people who can evaluate our
>>> arguments themselves -- and should have the freedom to do so.
>>
>> I consider myself intelligent, and well versed in logic. And your
>> argument just does not work.
>
> "...for me," that is, for Henry.
>
> Kindly allow others to form their own conclusions by not
> censoring topical arguments on wiki pages.

We can discuss this tomorrow at the teleconf if you want.

> Perhaps the logical consistency of my position ("WebID SHOULD be
> HTTP URI", period, end of sentence, "MAY be hashed" is left to
> be inferred [or not] by the reader; I'll tolerate MUST be HTTP
> for this iteration) has might be confirmed by your consideration
> of this question --

I don't deny that the 3 position

"MUST be an HTTP(S) URI"

is logically consistent. I am just trying to make sure that
arguments in each section are doing some work.

>   Why does the Linked Data meme (Five Star or original form)
>   stop at "HTTP URIs", and not say "hash-based HTTP URIs"?
>
> Presuming WebID is meant to align with Linked Data (and that is
> definitely one of my presumptions), I have yet to see a strong
> justification for WebID to go further than Linked Data along
> this line...
>
> And we're back to "WebID MUST be URI, SHOULD be HTTP(S) URI,"
> full stop.

The removal of your argument section against position 2
does not say anything about the overall state of the argument, or
which one is the best, or which one will be selected.