Re: hash editing: removing apple bug ref from SHOULD

On 4 Dec 2012, at 18:51, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2012, at 12:14 PM, Henry Story wrote:
>> This is why I brought this up here. Can you defend why the Apple
>> key chain is a reason against the SHOULD? Then if you want we can
>> get some feedback and see where the community stands on this.
>
> See --
>
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webid/2012Dec/0019.html>

[[
When a user clicks on a URI with a hash in Keychain.app, they're
not going to get where the URI generator intended.

The user is going to have a bad experience thereby.

Mandating, or even strongly encouraging, hash URIs for WebID
will increase the odds of this bad experience for Mac users
who start to explore how this all works.
]]

yes, understood. But

 1. it is a bug in a little used Apple tool that has very little impact on anything,
    and this is a standards process, so we don't base our standards on broken tools. What
    if they fix it tomorrow?
 2. the SHOULD allows you to do something else if you have valid reasons. I cite RFC2119 on SHOULD
[[
SHOULD This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different course.
]]
   Since you fully understand the implications the SHOULD would allow you to do that.

 3. There is another workaround: just  redirect

   http://some.eg/foaf%23

   http://some.eg/foaf

So your argument is not an argument against SHOULD given the definition of SHOULD.

Henry