Re: submit a milestone to my Web History Timeline?

Hi John

I love the timeline. I especially loved seeing HyperCard in the timeline. It’s one of the reasons I jumped into using the web when it began.

I have a few requests.

I’d like to see additions for some of the web accessibility initiative WCAG standards. I think it’s important to recognize that even early on we used tools like Bobby (deceased!) and Wave to help improve accessibility. Over time we have newer tools now, but those early days I think it’s important to recognize, that web is one field that led the path, for accessibility standards that far exceeded state and federal regulations. I love telling that to my students!

I have been doing research in my dissertation on some of the problems we have with web development as a profession, and web education in general. We have had movement from certification programs towards bachelor programs and now master’s degrees. The computer science curriculum recommendations now includes web and mobile content as part of the electives in a CS program - FINALLY!

So, I’d like to see recognized on the timeline, the first web certificate, certification and degree programs (AS/BS/MS). It would just be the ‘1st’ programs. That would help show the growth of the field.

OWASP and others study the issues with security on the web. But I still contend that part of the problem lies with web education, or lack thereof. My dissertation showed most faculty did not have degrees in web fields, which makes sense given that there were no bachelor degrees in the beginning. It’s hard to get students into these programs because we see competition with CS and CIS programs as well as graphic design. I’d like to see included in the history recognition for the ‘growth’ of web development as a profession. One of the major pillars is control over the profession through having academic programs as well as at least one professional organization/code of ethics.

So those are my two requests.
Thanks for considering my request!

Kathleen Kalata, Ph.D
Assistant Professor
CIT/CIS Programs
College of Business
Ferris State University
www.ferris.edu
231-591-2045 (office)
906-202-0314 (cell/text)
KathleenKalata@Ferris.edu

"Education is life. It involves growth, development and training.” — Woodbridge Nathan Ferris