Re: history of online comments

I'm slightly proud to say that Travels with Samantha (
http://philip.greenspun.com/samantha/ ) went live in the fall of 1993 with
a reader comment feature. This book was the genesis of photo.net (because
so many people asked me questions about how to take pictures).

On the other hand, I'm embarrassed to say that the comment forms were
processed by a program in the Lisp language (Scheme dialect), using a
library of CGI tools developed by Jonathan Rees.

I'm not sure that I was the first to build a book where the original idea
was to collect and redistribute multiple perspectives, but on the other
hand I don't remember anything earlier. My theory was that others on the
Internet would have more interesting stuff to say about each of the places
than I, a visitor, would.

Philip