Re: Conferences

Continuing my exploration of early academic articles about the web…

Hindsight makes some old articles from early web and hypertext conferences very entertaining reading. Yet, I've failed to locate any trace of what appears to be timbl's first paper: "World-Wide Web: Information Universe", Electronic Publishing: Research, Applications and Policy, April 1992. If anybody has an idea where to find that paper, I'm sure it would be quite interesting. Else, I'll try the long route of asking him.

While googling I found this "History of the Web" PDF [1], which is quite interesting and touches on topics not usually addressed, like markup. It doesn't say who wrote it, though. I have a vague suspicion that it's Bob Hopgood: the document's copyright is with Oxford Brooks uni, Bob's actually visible on a photo (p. 21 with Tim's father), and he's modest enough not to have put his name on the document. I will go the long route and ask him.

[1] http://www.weblab.isti.cnr.it/education/documents/origins.pdf

Cheers,
Max.