Re: Anything to discuss during our telcon tomorrow?

On 2016-12-13 23:14, Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:

> On a related subject – there have been updates on the top-level font
> media type registration. Chris Lilley has been busy at work (thank you
> Chris!) addressing some of the issues reported by the IETF-assigned
> reviewer,

all of them, I hope :)

> and the new version of the document has been created as a result.
> Please review and send you comments, if any. The details on the
> document progression can be seen at
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-justfont-toplevel/

Of note, the most recent couple of drafts have a new fragment syntax for
collections (both font/collection and also font/woff2). Ken Lunde
pointed out that the numeric fragment syntax was brittle, as new fonts
are typically inserted rather than appended into a collection. Instead,
a fragment syntax using the PostScript name is specified.

This syntax was already in use in CSS3 Fonts, for referring to locally
installed fonts rather than downloaded ones. For use as a fragment, the
only complication is that six characters are allowed in PostScript names
and disallowed in fragment identifiers. They have to be percent-escaped
in the fragments.

An additional benefit is that the syntax is more human readable. To get
at Foo Bold in a collection (or woff2 of a collection) called bar, the
syntax is bar.woff2#Foo-Bold for example, not bar.woff2#3 or whatever.

As far as I know, no browser or html-to-pdf formatter has support for
collections. So there is no web compat issue. The new syntax will be
more usable, and completes what is needed for us to use collections in
woff2.

--
Chris