Re: [css-fonts] selecting color or monochrome glyphs for emoji fonts

Christoph Päper wrote:
> There are some points to consider, though.
>
>   — Are glyphs with inherent color(s) affected by the ‘color’ property?

I'm unsure how this works with the COLR table, but with the SVG table,
there is a special paint value context-fill which represents the fill of
the text specified in the outer document.  So if your glyph were:

   <g glyphid="1">
     <rect ... fill="blue"/>
     <circle ... fill="context-fill"/>
   </g>

and glyph ID 1 was for "A" and the document had:

then the <rect> would always render as blue and the circle as blue.

>   — Does this change if the stylesheet says something non-default,
>     e.g. using ‘font-variant-color’?

font-variant-color would only switch whether the glyph from the
COLR/SVG/CBDT tables is used or whether the glyf/CFF glyph is used.