Re: Open issues in the WOFF 2 draft spec

On 16/4/14 13:04, Chris Lilley wrote:
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Monday, April 14, 2014, 7:55:54 PM, you wrote:
>
>> I envisage that before very long, the Brotli compressor is likely to be
>> packaged as a reusable library on many systems, so that it would be
>> readily available to scripting languages such as Perl or Python or Ruby
>> that might be used to build dynamic sites or online tools. I doubt the
>> WOFF2 glyf-transformation code is likely to be nearly so widely
>> available, given its more specialized nature.
>
> Doesn't that argument apply to all of the MTX-style preprocessing,
> which is all font-specific and all separate from generalized entropy
> coding?

ISTM that the glyf/loca transformation is the only moderately complex
part of implementing WOFF2 (aside from the Brotli entropy coding
itself); apart from that, an implementer only needs to deal with the
header and table directory, which are pretty simple, and run the
concatenation of all the table data through Brotli.

So my impression is that if Brotli becomes available as a standard
library (which I expect will happen) it will be considerably simpler for
someone to generate WOFF2-encoded font data from any arbitrary language
(Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua, PHP, Javascript, whatever....) if they're
allowed to skip the glyf-table transformation. I think that's an
attractive option.

Obviously, a dedicated WOFF2-generating tool used by a font foundry to
prepare a library of webfonts will want to apply the transform, because
it adds value by minimizing the resulting file size. But ad hoc web
services that want to generate custom fonts on the fly might view the
code-complexity vs font-size tradeoff differently.

JK