From: David Kuettel [mailto:kuettel@google.com]
Sent: Friday, March 29, 2013 8:31 PM
To: public-webfonts-wg@w3.org
Subject: Quick WOFF 2.0 update

Hello fellow web font working group members,

Recently Raph passed the torch to me to aid in the effort of advancing the WOFF 2.0 specification.  I am honored to have the opportunity to work closely will all of you to advance the specification and to see Raph's creation reach the finish line -- which would be a tremendous win for web fonts and the web.  As I am new to the standardization process (my day job is running the Google Web Fonts service), please bear with me. :)

A few quick updates, with more to follow in time:

All of the Early Access fonts are now being served with the candidate WOFF 2.0 enabled (see the .css link for each):

http://www.google.com/fonts/earlyaccess

The reference WOFF 2.0 font compression tool has been updated and is now even easier to run.  The hard-coded dependency on /usr/bin/lzma had been removed via use of the SevenZip Java LZMA compression library. The tool is now pure Java with no external binary dependencies:

http://code.google.com/p/font-compression-reference<http://code.google.com/p/font-compression-reference/>

Further, we have joined forces with the Chrome team and we are working together to enable end-to-end validation of the WOFF 2.0 prototype (both support in Google Web Fonts and Chrome) sometime in the near future.

Stay tuned!

David