RE: DRAFT: WebFonts WG liaison to CSS WG

[John Daggett:]
> Ideally, loading behavior would be described consistently in another spec
> such that we could refer to that spec.  But it really doesn't, just as
> after all these years we're only now talking about a client-side mechanism
> to prevent cross-site linking.
>
> I still think a very large part of the "let's put this in another spec" is
> motivated not by the desire to carefully delineate functionality in a
> modular way but as a mechanism to ignore it entirely.

I agree. "If you want to make it invalid, do so in a spec that is not on my
web standard shopping list" is exactly the vibe I'm getting. Why that's better
for everyone else certainly seems secondary, if it matters at all.

> George
You mean Glenn ?

> talked a lot about his desire as part of an outside consortium (set-top box group?)
> to refer to specs piecemeal.  Clearly, his reasoning was that if this was off
> in another spec his group could simply ignore it.

I noticed that. But this implies future work yet he complains about introducing a
breaking change or 'retro-active requirement'. Weren't other changes made that were
breaking for an older implementation e.g. the mapping of weight values ?

I also don't understand how requiring same-origin for new implementation breaks an older
implementation that loads fonts cross-origin. And that is the other thing that is odd
here: this objection does not include any use-case or scenario affecting end-users.

> But for the web that doesn't resolve the problem at all, it just spreads the
> solution out in a larger number of specs.

Very true.

> Modularity is great when things are loosely coupled but if you're talking about
> the internals of how @font-face functions, I think it's important to keep that
> definition in one place.

Since we have in fact agreed in previous discussions that this behavior applies
not to font resources but to resources loaded by the src descriptor of @font-face,
I have to agree. This behavior is tightly coupled to this specific part of the
feature. Some will argue this requirement shouldn't exist because there shouldn't
be such a tight coupling between CSS and protocol-level things, of course. But I
think you're right: the specification of the feature should define this or it will
be treated as if it wasn't there. Since it already is ignored by some implementors
there are no reasons to believe it will be better respected if it were in some
other document.

> Without that a test suite will be a tangled mess of conditional tests ("if
> UA supports Y, run tests A, B, C").
>
> If we are going to resolve to ignore origin restrictions (I'm not
> recommending that!), a consensus or a majority of the group should
> advocate that and stop with the "push it out to another spec" dodge around
> the issue.  I think the CSS group will need to vote on this, since I don't
> see a consensus opinion emerging.  I thought we were close based on the
> discussions surrounding the From-Origin header but it seems like Opera is
> now pushing more strongly for the "separate spec" approach.

As you said, the 'where it is specified' argument seems to be a way to route
Around the hard issue, which remains the default value of the From-Origin reader
for those responses to src descriptor requests that don't include one.