Re: WOFF without same origin restriction in Opera?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

>  It doesn’t always work and requires work on the part of the web site to
> implement it (not all sites do referrer checking for their images, or all
> their images). Having the browser enforce same-origin by default requires
> zero work on the site’s behalf to comply with the most common web font
> license requirement today.
>

> But if some browsers choose to ignore this requirement then web sites may
> have to implement Referrer checks for those browsers anyway. It’s unclear
> why we should be making their lives harder than they need to be, or how it
> helps web typography adoption.
>
> It must be noted that other solutions were proposed before WOFF; one of
> them was judged inadequate in part because it would have relied on
> unreliable and cumbersome Referrer checks.

So, in trying to solve the fonts-on-the-web problem, the WG decided that the
current solutions are inadequate for the foundries, and invented an
architecture that the foundries think is what they want, but left the rest
of the world scratching their head trying to get it work on the web?  As in,
now anyone who want to share their fonts either has to not use WOFF, or be
bothered to implement CORS on their server...

Unimpressed,
behdad