Re: WOFF without same origin restriction in Opera?

Bill Davis wrote:

> http://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF/spec/ states: "When using such fonts, user
> agents MUST implement a 'same-origin restriction' on the downloading of WOFF
> files using the same-origin matching algorithm described in the HTML5
> specification..."

> What part of "MUST" does Opera not understand?

I presume we have Anne van Kesteren to thank for this. At the
face-to-face meeting in Lyon, Håkon intimated that there was debate
within Opera over same origin restriction, and Anne has made it
perfectly clear in the past that he opposes it (apparently protecting a
company's data is acceptable but protecting a company's assets from
being used by competitors is not); he also publicly endorsed the 'Fuck
the Foundries' approach to web fonts on his blog.

Opera have had plenty of opportunity to make a formal objection to SOR
in the WOFF specification. We're at last call for comments and they have
not done so. Håkon made no objection at the face-to-face in Lyon. Maybe
someone at Opera thinks they can do an end run by producing an
implementation that ignores this MUST clause, but I think they're just
going to end up being non-conformant. Maybe they'd listen to one of
their own customers who wants to protect an investment in a font asset?

JH