W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webfonts-wg@w3.org > January 2011

RE: Minutes, 19 January WebFonts WG meeting

From: Levantovsky, Vladimir <Vladimir.Levantovsky@MonotypeImaging.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:51:22 -0500
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>, WOFF Working Group FONT <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <7534F85A589E654EB1E44E5CFDC19E3D054509D941@wob-email-01.agfamonotype.org>
Hello WG,

At the last call I mentioned that I will be traveling this week and we agreed to cancel the telcon. However, I believe I can make it this time (I am in Korea, so I will be up late with John D.). Please respond to this email if you're available and can make the call this Wednesday.

Thank you,
Vlad


> -----Original Message-----
> From: public-webfonts-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-webfonts-wg-
> request@w3.org] On Behalf Of John Hudson
> Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 5:07 PM
> To: WOFF Working Group FONT
> Subject: Minutes, 19 January WebFonts WG meeting
> 
> Minutes at http://www.w3.org/2011/01/19-webfonts-minutes.html
> 
> and below as text
> 
> 
> 
>                   WebFonts Working Group Teleconference
> 
> 19 Jan 2011
> 
>     See also: [2]IRC log
> 
>        [2] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/19-webfonts-irc
> 
> Attendees
> 
>     Present
>            Vlad, John, Cristopher, Chris, Tal, Sergey, Sylvain
> 
>     Regrets
>            Dave_Crossland, Christopher_Slye, Jonathan_Kew
> 
>     Chair
>            Vlad
> 
>     Scribe
>            John
> 
> Contents
> 
>       * [3]Topics
>           1. [4]Last Call responses
>       * [5]Summary of Action Items
>       _________________________________________________________
> 
>     <trackbot> Date: 19 January 2011
> 
>     Chris are you calling in?
> 
>     <ChrisL> yes, sorry I have another call back to back with this one
> 
>     <ChrisL> zakim seems to knot know the call started
> 
>     Vlad: can we recover previous minutes; Chris, maybe some
> 
>     <ChrisL> IRC log of last weeks call
>     [6]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/12-webfonts-irc
> 
>        [6] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/12-webfonts-irc
> 
> Last Call responses
> 
>     Vlad: ref. Jonathan's proposal to resolve issue 8
> 
>     localisation of credit elements using multiple credit elements
> 
>     Tal: support
> 
>     Vlad: caveat that this causes bloat of metadata
> 
>     <ChrisL> [7]http://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF/DoC/issues-lc-2010.html
> 
>        [7] http://dev.w3.org/webfonts/WOFF/DoC/issues-lc-2010.html
> 
>     <ChrisL> so that is 14. I18N-ISSUE-8: Direction attributes needed
> 
>     I18N-ISSUE-8 = WebFonts 14
> 
>     No objections; response to I18n assigned to Jonathan
> 
>     <ChrisL> ACTION jonathan to respons on issue-14
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-57 - Respons on issue-14 [on Jonathan Kew
>     - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     ACTION Tal revise test cases to allow multiple credit elements
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-58 - Revise test cases to allow multiple
>     credit elements [on Tal Leming - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     <ChrisL> 9. I18n-ISSUE-2: Why not using xml:lang?
> 
>     Chris: propose XML:lang but backwards compatible option to allow
>     lang
> 
>     <scribe> new content to use XML:lang
> 
>     Tal: will require test updates
> 
>     Vlad: should avoid allowing both
> 
>     Chris: agree
> 
>     ACTION Chris Respond to I18n-ISSUE-2
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-59 - Respond to I18n-ISSUE-2 [on Chris
>     Lilley - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     Wait for I18n response to proposals before Tal revises tests
> 
>     11. I18n-ISSUE-5: Use of attributes for human readable text [WOFF]
>     [8]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0104.html
> 
>        [8] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0104.html
> 
>     Tal: will change to credit elements help resolve this?
> 
>     Vlad: I18n also concerned that markup cannot be used with
> attributes
> 
>     John: can we version metadata?
> 
>     Chris: possible, but concerns about opening the door to version 2
>     metadata
>     ... but other concerns about I18n pushback
> 
>     Vlad: existing metadata acceptable in XML terms; how serious is
> e.g.
>     markup in credits
> 
>     Chris: possible use case for markup in credit: ruby notation
> 
>     John: might I18n be satisfied with version 1 backwards compatible
>     fixes + review for possible version 2
> 
>     Chris: maybe, but they might come back with 'Why not get it right
>     first time?'
> 
>     Vlad: two concerns: localisation (already addressed, issue 8);
>     inability to use markup.
> 
>     Markup need not anticipated, except edge case
> 
>     scribe: respond partial resolution (issue 8) but need to maintain
>     backwards compatibility, ref. charter
> 
>     [issue 8]
> 
>     hmm, 8 + paren is emoticon
> 
>     General response to I18n: we seek to resolve their issues within
> the
>     framework of maintaining backwards compatibility
> 
>     <ChrisL> 12. I18N-ISSUE-6: Localization mechanism too restricted
> 
>     [9]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0105.html
> 
>        [9] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0105.html
> 
>     [10]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0108.htm
>     l
> 
>       [10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0108.html
> 
>     <ChrisL>
>     [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0105.htm
>     l
> 
>       [11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0105.html
> 
>     Possible use of ...lang mechanism for vendor, credit and licensee
>     elements
> 
>     Vlad: what would happen to e.g. name attribute in vendor element
>     with use of ..lang
> 
>     Chris: ask Liam
> 
>     ACTION Vlad Contact Liam re. XML questions
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-60 - Contact Liam re. XML questions [on
>     Vladimir Levantovsky - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     I18N-ISSUE-7: Paragraphs and inline content [WOFF]
> 
>     [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0106.htm
>     l
> 
>       [12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2010OctDec/0106.html
> 
>     Vlad: allow markup in text elements
> 
>     Chris: even if no, the spec needs to be revised
>     ... add div and span
> 
>     ACTION Chris To provide samples and respond to I18n
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-61 - Provide samples and respond to I18n
>     [on Chris Lilley - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     ACTION Jonathan To modify spec text re. div and span in text
>     elements
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-62 - Modify spec text re. div and span in
>     text elements [on Jonathan Kew - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     <ChrisL> Questions from SZilles (adobe)
>     [13]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2011JanMar/0001.htm
>     l
> 
>       [13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2011JanMar/0001.html
> 
>     Chris: agree comment 1, suggest splitting introduction into two
>     sections
> 
>     ACTION Chris Respond to Stephen Zilles re. introduction/normative
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-63 - Respond to Stephen Zilles re.
>     introduction/normative [on Chris Lilley - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     ACTION Jonathan Remove normative statements from introduction to
> new
>     section 'General Requirements'
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-64 - Remove normative statements from
>     introduction to new section 'General Requirements' [on Jonathan Kew
>     - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     Chris: 2. Unique ID; incorrect, but will revise spec to clarify
> 
>     ACTION Chris Respond to Stephen Zilles re. uniqueid
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-65 - Respond to Stephen Zilles re.
>     uniqueid [on Chris Lilley - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     Possible future action on Jonathan
> 
>     Chris: 3. confusion over possible presence of children of
>     localisable elements
>     ... unclear to at least two people, so text needs to be clearer
> 
>     Vlad: is that SZ's actual concern?
> 
>     <ChrisL> text content and child elements
> 
>     Vlad: modify, 'every time an element may be localised' add mention
>     of children
> 
>     ACTION Jonathan Edit spec 'this element may be localised' replaced
>     'this element may be localised using text child element'
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-66 - Edit spec 'this element may be
>     localised' replaced 'this element may be localised using text child
>     element' [on Jonathan Kew - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     ACTION Jonathan Edit section 6, past paragraph: 'at least one text
>     sub element' replaced by 'at least one text child element'.
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-67 - Edit section 6, past paragraph: 'at
>     least one text sub element' replaced by 'at least one text child
>     element'. [on Jonathan Kew - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     ACTION Jonathan General replacement: 'sub elements' to 'child
>     elements'
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-68 - General replacement: 'sub elements'
>     to 'child elements' [on Jonathan Kew - due 2011-01-26].
> 
>     <ChrisL> Bert's comments
>     [14]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2011JanMar/0009.htm
>     l
> 
>       [14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-
> font/2011JanMar/0009.html
> 
>     Address in email
> 
>     SZ No.4 : repeat of conformance criteria in two places
> 
>     Make one informative and link to normative
> 
>     Chris + Vlad : possibly remove summary
> 
>     Chris: summary derivable, hence redundant
> 
>     Agreed
> 
>     Question to be posed on email in case of objections
> 
>     ACTION Vlad Enquire on email re. removal of summary of conformance
>     requirements
> 
>     <trackbot> Created ACTION-69 - Enquire on email re. removal of
>     summary of conformance requirements [on Vladimir Levantovsky - due
>     2011-01-26].
> 
>     Vlad: travelling next week, so might not make call; discuss Bert
>     Bos' comments on email; skip next week's call
> 
>     <ChrisL> next week canceled
> 
> Summary of Action Items
> 
>     [End of minutes]
>       _________________________________________________________
> 
> 
>      Minutes formatted by David Booth's [15]scribe.perl version 1.135
>      ([16]CVS log)
>      $Date: 2011/01/19 22:04:01 $
>       _________________________________________________________
> 
>       [15]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
>       [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
> 
> Scribe.perl diagnostic output
> 
>     [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
> This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20
> Check for newer version at [17]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002
> /scribe/
> 
>       [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/
> 
> Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)
> 
> No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: John
> Inferring Scribes: John
> Present: Vlad John Cristopher Chris Tal Sergey Sylvain
> Regrets: Dave_Crossland Christopher_Slye Jonathan_Kew
> Found Date: 19 Jan 2011
> Guessing minutes URL: [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/01/19-webfonts-minutes
> .html
> People with action items:
> 
>       [18] http://www.w3.org/2011/01/19-webfonts-minutes.html
> 
>     End of [19]scribe.perl diagnostic output]
> 
>       [19]
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
> 
> 
> [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 25 January 2011 07:55:09 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:04:24 UTC