RE: WOFF and extended metadata

Me neither - OK, maybe a little - but if rendering font metadata for the
1/10,000 users that do care about it does require me to run XSLT transforms
or an equivalent algorithm to account for all the unpredictable markup people
might throw at me then it's *very* unlikely I'm going to bother implementing
this for quite some time, if ever. The range of possible inputs is now infinite,
for one; browsers already have to deal with quite a bit of that as it is. Adding
one more source of input entropy for the metadata of a specific resource type seems
highly unnecessary. There is a big difference between a format being extensible vs.
open-ended. We seem to want the former, but because open-ended is also extensible
we assume it's the same thing in the end. I disagree. Open-ended is not a feature
here: it' a burden on implementors out of proportion with the very narrow benefit
we aim to achieve imo.

The cost of implementing 'about this font' ought to be as minimal as it can be or
no one will bother. Whatever seems to be hackable with a quick script and works great
with the two examples you and I just made up is not necessarily a good indication of
what it'll cost in a real shipping product that, for this particular feature, probably
has more malicious attackers poking at it than there are people who will use said feature
on a regular basis.