Re: WOFF and extended metadata

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Levantovsky, Vladimir <
Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:

> Strictly speaking, the proposed sentence defines recommended behavior,
> where some kind of UI is to be provided by UA to show the content of
> metadata. It does not however prescribe any particular way to implement that
> UI, nor does it define any specific user interface features. This is all
> left to the implementers to decide.

OK, but it's still a UI requirement.

Without this sentence, the spec would be incomplete because it provides the
> description of syntax and semantics of metadata but fails to mention what it
> is expected to be used for, and whether UA is expected to act on it. The
> proposed sentence resolves this issue by providing clear recommendations
> that UA should only display the content based on user's request.

The spec could just say, informatively, something like
Note: user agents are encouraged to provide means for users to view the
metadata, if it is present.

Rob
53:5-6]