Re: Welcome, and introductions

Hello all,

I'm Jonathan Kew, from Mozilla, where I work mainly on font- and text-related code in Gecko. I'm relatively new to this, having been with Mozilla about 18 months. I have a particular interest in non-Latin scripts, and the fonts and text-rendering technologies that support them. Previously, I worked with SIL International where I did font development using AAT and OpenType technologies (and various earlier generations, now lost in the mists of time), and worked on typesetting software (particularly XeTeX), as well as hands-on typesetting of books in several non-Latin alphabets using the tools I was developing.

I have not participated in W3C working groups before, but have had some involvement with standardization processes in relation to Unicode/ISO 10646, where I have contributed proposals and attended Technical Committee meetings on a few occasions.

I am keenly interested in seeing a Web Fonts standard emerge that serves the needs of the full spectrum of browser makers and other implementers, as well as type designers and foundries, commercial vendors and free-software advocates, and of course Web authors and users, so that typography on the Web can begin to draw on a far wider collection of resources. I hope to see the Fonts WG formalize the WOFF specification and related recommendations such as access controls so that we can secure a truly interoperable and typographically rich future for the Web.

I'm based in England, so GMT in the winter, GMT+1 currently.

Jonathan