Re: Draft Updated Charter adding Mouse Lock and Gamepad

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Chris Wilson <cwilso@google.com> wrote:

> I confess, the multiple tracks topology eluded me.  I'm trying to
> understand the common case of "interface supports many audio track i/os, how
> do I select them, and what does that turn into in terms of Media Streams?"
>  Is there an example that uses the DAW scenario?

No, but you can figure out what it would look like using the track APIs
defined in Hixie's MediaStreams proposal, for example.

I mean if I write an algorithmic music generator that just wants to spit out
> a MIDI message stream, how do I create the output device, and what does the
> programming model for that look like?  I think if I'm doing this to output
> an audio stream, I write out to a binary blob (less ideal, but marginally
> workable for MIDI data) and then hook up the stream to an <audio> (which
> then routes it to the default audio device today).

You wouldn't go through a binary blob if you just want to play MIDI. Instead
you would have a JS MIDI synthesizer and connect its MediaStream output to
the input of an <audio> element.

> But I don't have a <midi> element to route the output to (and that has the
> same interface-selection needs as input).

You mean to route MIDI data to an output device that accepts MIDI directly?
For that, we'll need brand-new DOM API for selecting the output device. That
API could let you connect a MediaStream to the device.

(Emphasis mine.)  I agree, I think a significant value MediaStreams provide
> is synchronization and real-time processing immune from main-thread latency.
>  My argument has been that that is less important with MIDI, and I'm
> concerned about the complexity of the programming model that arises from
> this model - enough so that I was thinking along the same lines - generally
> it won't hurt to simply deliver MIDI controller input to the main thread as
> regular DOM events.  (In Windows, MIDI messages are pumped through a message
> loop, frequently on the same thread.)

Don't underestimate main-thread latency: poorly written Web apps (or Web
apps sharing a main thread with other, poorly written Web apps, which still
happens a lot in all browsers) can easily see tens of milliseconds of
latency, or even arbitrary amounts.

I don't really care though. MediaStreams could be used to process MIDI data,
and I think that would have some benefits, but if someone creates
main-thread-only MIDI APIs that wouldn't bother me.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our